At SHU, I spent lots of time with my Troublemakers and with a bunch of other students. People I met in June have graduated and left us. But many of them will be back in June for the pseudo-residency. :-)
Our guest speaker this time was Jonathan Maberry. He was fan-tabulous!!! There was so much real world advice during his talk. Not only did he talk about dedicating yourself to the craft, he gave excellent up-to-date advice on the business end of things. He was really down to earth and approachable. He answered all of our questions and seemed genuinely happy to be there with us.
So those key things he talked about that really stayed with me were:
- To use social media sites to help promote not only yourself but other writers (both within and outside your genre)
- To interview authors or experts and post them on your blog (which I'm hoping to do soon)
- To do your reasearch with experts (and not just one)
- Your name is your brand - you're not just selling your books, you're selling yourself
- Don't say anything negative about any books online where people could use it against you one day (very valid advice)